My family’s experience with brain injury
– Brain Injury Association of Maryland
• BIA National Directory of Brain
Injury Rehabilitation Services, annual editions
– Brain Injury Association, Inc.
• Brain Injury and the Family: A life and living perspective
– Arthur E. Dell Orto, CRC Press
• Family articles about traumatic brain injury
– Angela Tipton Dikengil, M.S.
Communication Skills Builders
• Coping with Brain Injury:
A guide for family and friends
– Gordon Muir Giles, American
Occupational Therapy Association
• Living with Brain Injury:
A guide for families (second edition)
– Richard C. Senelick, Health South
• Head Injury: Information and answers to commonly asked questions; a family’s guide to coping
– Christopher D. Sturm, et al.
Quality Medical Publishing
• Share the Care: How to organize a group to care for someone who is seriously ill
– Sheila Warnack, Cappy Capossela,
Simon & Schuster
Many of these books are available from the Brain Injury Association of America at www.braininjurybooks.com or from on-line booksellers.
Table of Contents
• What is a Brain Injury?
• How Bad Is It?
• How the Brain Functions
• Common Problems During Early Recovery
• The Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
• Understanding Coma
• How Does an Injured Brain Heal?
• How You Can Help With Recovery
• Where Will the Journey Go From Here?
• How Will I Ever Get Through This?
• Where to Go for Help
• Books for Families Coping With Brain Injury